Monday, 17 May 2010

The Vintner's Luck



Last night while Dave watched a horror movie in Invercargill, I braved watching the film adaptation of my favourite book, the Vintner's Luck. It's very difficult to create a movie that's true to the book and captures its full essence, especially in such a detailed and complex novel. Usually I watch expecting the movie to complement the novel but not eclipse it, which is true in the case of the Time Traveller's Wife. Overall the movie was enjoyable but felt a little awkward and uneven handed perhaps due to having to reduce the story to almost a synopsis, but is is saved by the beauty of the landscape and the lush details of the surrounding nature - bees dancing on the vine leaves, cloud studies and birdsong.

Are there any films that you think are as good as the book? Or better?

2 comments:

Endy said...

Awww...!! You've seen the film! I wish I was there to see it with you *sob* I don't think they are showing it here in UK, might have to download it if that's an option...! Yea, usually adaptation of novel is hard...but if the film captured the essence of the original story that's pretty good. Did they even put the love story between main guy and the Angel?? I bet they took that scene out!

charinthecity said...

There is a weird wrestling-flying scene in the movie that I think is supposed to be a love scene between Sobran and Xas. But it just is confusing... Gaspard looks beautiful in the film anyway, you'll be glad to know!