Sunday, 30 May 2010

Southland's Top Two



Say hello to Southland's two most recognisable landmarks: the Bluff Signpost and the Invercargill water tower. I took advantage of an unusally nice day to pay both a visit. Here I am exactly 18958km away from home. Its the furthest point south in the whole of mainland New Zealand and the start of route 1, which goes all the way through Christchurch, Wellington and Auckland right to to northern tip of the country (Cape Reinga - 1491km away).



The Invercargill water tower is a pleasant victorian structure. Unfortunately, as the rest of Invercargill is so architechturally uninspiring rather too much emphasis is put on the merits of this building. It did seem to glow rather impressively in the sunshine, and I was lucky enough to find it open (I think it only opens about 2 hours a week!).



The signpost isn't all there is to Bluff (although it is commonly believed). The bay looked gorgeous in the winter sun. The town is nestled at the foot of this hill on the right. Only last week it came alive for the Bluff Oyster Festival which I missed as was up in Christchurch. No great loss as Char and I can't stand slimy oysters...



The town is a mix of quaint seaside cottages, and signs of decay and former wealth...




This little New Zealand robin put on a little show for me as well:



The view from the top of the water tower was equally dramatic. Problem is, the nicest building in Invercargill is the water tower itself...



Beautiful example of cloud streets though... (sorry, I'm missing gliding!)

1 comment:

charinthecity said...

Great pics of cloud streeting and I love the one of the robin! Just got visited by a rather damp Porridge... while I was having my porridge.