Friday, 1 August 2008

Trafalgar Square

Hello August! A whole new month ahead of us now. I decided to break my self-imposed housebound state - for purposes of keeping a tight rein on my finances - and took the Tube to Trafalgar Square to check out the National Gallery and National Portrait Gallery.

Mmm, it's a bit of a brooding looking day here.

This reminds me of one of my childhood tricks. Grandpa used to have a carved lion I liked to ride on, I think most of the grandkids have done this at least once. The lion here is considerably bigger though!

Just walking down the street. I saw a tiny van that blew bubbles out of the exhaust, and sang 'Hey, hey, hey it's a beautiful day' but wasn't quick enough to photo it.

Here we go - the National Gallery. It's an impressive collection including works like Da Vinci's 'The Virgin of the Rocks', Boticelli's 'Venus & Mars', and Van Gogh's 'Sunflowers' to name a few highlights. I have to admit I am still a bit museum-jaded but I enjoyed it! The National Portrait Gallery was awesome. Walked through galleries of all the famous Tudor Portraits (especially noting Henry VIII's wives!) and Regency portraits like the miniature of Jane Austen, as well as the incredible work done in the Annual Portrait Competition. Looks like photorealism, if the term can be applied to portraits, is in this year.

I ate a crayfish salad from Pret for lunch which cost less than a blueberry muffin at the gallery. It was very yummy, but I was sad to learn that the crayfish here seems to be a small prawn-like creature that has the same texture as NZ crayfish do, but not the taste.

And this is the reason I didn't let myself out of the neighbourhood for almost a month. Cass Art Supplies just down the road from the NG had an 85% off sale and I got this Windsor and Newton oils studio box complete with brushes, palette, pencil and sharpener and solvent for £12. I love you Cass Art! The best art shop I've ever been to, I need to go to their flagship shop in Islington when I'm richer. 3 floors of the best art supplies... *drool* Oh well! I figure it will keep me busy at home and out of the shops? Oooooh, paint!

5 comments:

moondancer33 said...

Great photos, here and the ones below. gosh, look at the clouds!

Speaking of Henry VIII, the Tudors season finalé was previous Sunday with Queen Ann beheaded and Jane Seymore set to fill the vacancy. Witnessing a decapitation must be the best entertainment those people get in those days.

Great job with the W & N. I look forward to seeing more beautiful artwork from you.

charinthecity said...

Oh! I miss TV so much... I want to see the Tudors too )-: Arrrgh, this darn aerial. Soon you'll be hooked into reading Philippa Gregory too.

Tiffany said...

ahhh i want to see second season of tudors as well!!!
char, i totally remember that black lion with the red ribbon necklace and two bells tied to it.
it was the perfect size for us to pretend we were riding a horse.
val and i used to play dentist with its huge white teeth!
and how lovely, the art set is so inviting!

charinthecity said...

I thought you might remember our friend the lion! Maybe even, each of us kids has a photo taken with it tucked away somewhere.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it great when you find a horribly good art supply store? I can spend hours browsing through it than I can at a mall.