Sunday, 17 August 2008

Lazy Sunday Comfort Food

I didn't get up to anything much today... at noon, Olga and I discovered we had a power cut and investigated a little. We peeked out the window and noticed an 'emergency electricity van' parked down a sidestreet and went to find out what was happening. The electricians were having their cuppa and bacon butties but reassured us that the power would be back on in 1-2 hours. Phew, we didn't have to eat all our ice block supply in the freezer!

My cheese and milk needed using up, so I decided to make cauliflower cheese (can you tell how much I like it? It's on the left). I also had some stale baguette and the oven was being used... so out came the bread and butter pudding recipe. It's not Nigella, but it tastes good! Olga's new wok is on the back left burner. She made curry in the red pot.

Simple and yum....
Bread & Butter Pudding

4 slices of stale bread/baguette
3 eggs
2 cups of milk
1/4 cup sugar
sprinkle of cinnamon and icing sugar
optional: 2 Tablespoons of currants/raisins, 2 Tablespoons grated lemon rind

Layer the bread, (currants), sugar (and lemon) in an oven-proof dish. Beat the eggs and milk together and pour over the bread. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Stand for 15min, then bake the dish at 180deg celsius until golden brown, about 15min. Dust with icing sugar.
I almost forgot to tell you the good news - Clare and I found her new house yesterday, and tomorrow she's moving in. It's a cute wee townhouse with a red door just 5-10min walk from mine. Yay, Clare!!!

Hmmm, I can see a half-naked Italian guy cleaning the kitchen in the flat next door. Not often you see that. Yep, life is interesting in the city...

3 comments:

moondancer33 said...

I made cauliflower cheese too on Sunday! and red velvet cake and sushi-s for staff morning tea on Monday.

I've always wondered what bacon butties are.. sounds like something laden with cholesterol ;).

Yay Clare! Hope she is happy in her new place.

charinthecity said...

Wow, great minds think alike hmmm? Yum!! Staff morning tea shout again. Bacon butties are just bacon sandwiches. Sound cute and rude at the same time though, huh? I'll help Clare move in after her work.

linnykins said...

Mmm, bacon butties. They smell so good when I go to the Farmer's Market on Saturday morning. Your pudding looks yummy.

Great minds think alike and fools rarely differ!!