Wednesday, 16 July 2008

Sainsburys Basics: the apologetic brand



One of the things I've discovered is Sainsburys Basics, which is a 'budget' or no frills brand by the supermarket. I like this brand because it's the only one I know that seems to apologise for being budget! The labels appear to need to explain the reason that it's cheaper.

Example:
-45p pack of 10 ice lollies (iceblocks) 'Fruity taste, still cool'
- £1.99 pack of 3 fresh chicken legs 'Same chicken, different cut'
- 29p 500g can of sweetcorn 'Not all the same sweet size'
- £1.99 300g bag of frozen cooked shrimp 'Just a little smaller'
- 10p shower gel 'Just cleans, no added promises' This is my favourite, it actually deterred me from getting it.

I have tried all these products except for the shower gel and they are all yummy and good value! Do people get mad that they're buying budget food, and that's why the packaging is so honest?

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

hahaha i like the shower gel one. it is honest and i guess in today's marketing world, that is refreshing!!

that is one fancy vid you put up, did you edit it on your new hp?!
:)

charinthecity said...

Yup! It's the moviemaker device on Windows PhotoGallery. My first time coming across it so I'm impressed at how user friendly it all was.

I am tempted to buy a whole range of Sainsbury basics so I can be apologised to by my groceries when I am cranky that I'm poor.

Endymia said...

ha ha,haven't seen that bread one before! Nice...(slash/)Adequate!*LOL* I think in the way it's very English.. dry, a little sarcastic humor. *Love it*