Tuesday, 8 July 2008

Life in London

Over the weekend, it dawned on me that I was actually going to be living and working in London! I moved into my new flat in Manor House on Saturday after helping Hilary heave her stuff into a storage van, as she's moving in August and house-sitting til then. Of course I only had my backpack, so it was a good excuse to call Clare and take the short hop on the bus to go and visit her and collect the stuff I'd left with her, then go shopping for a few home comforts- duvet cover, sheets, mirror. We were so happy, we've never lived closer apart from Salmond Hall and Harbour Tce. Just 10min bus to the library or cinema, a further 10min walk to Clare's. We are on the Picadilly Line, which means being able to go to central London easily.

It's been a high school dream of ours to go and work and live in a European city when we were 'grown up'. Don't know about the growing up bit, but we did have a squeal when we both twigged it was for real!

I am adjusting to London life and I think, even starting to look more like a Londoner. Things I have learnt:

1. Pashminas are popular for good reason here. The weather is changeable, pashminas are easily stowed and you can wear them in different ways.
2. How to use a gas oven and stovetop. I am scared of the ones you have to ignite manually, luckily the one at home is Char-friendly.
3. Fruit and vege from the Turkish grocer actually smells and tastes more like fruit and vege than what you buy from the supermarket.
4. Always, always carry an umbrella.
5. Wear layers. The Tube is hot.
6. Woolworths here is not a supermarket. It is more like Kmart/Walmart.
7. How to use a London A-Z

I am really enjoying the area where I live, which is on a main street. Just minutes from a choice of one big supermarket and two little ones, lots of fruit and vege shops, and a shopping centre with a HomeBase (like Mitre 10), First Fitness Gym, steps away from Pizza Hut and kebab shops, and my favourite the China City NOODLE BAR. Clare and I tested them on Saturday. I don't know yet if they do Combination Gravy Ho Fun but after a month of Italian and French food, they are my heroes!!!

The neighbourhood is almost as friendly as NZ. I was buying some adhesive hooks from HomeBase and the lady went into a long chat about her 18 year old's birthday party the last night. And the first time I came to the flat, I twisted my ankle and fell on a cobblestone in front of the bus door, a man helped me up and wanted to help me safely off the bus too!

Very lucky to have cool flatmates, too. Alix is from Paris, she has the most amazing collection of DVDs, and the same taste as me. Olga from Latvia, eager to learn cook and has an imposing collection of cookbooks including How to be a Domestic Goddess. They are both laid-back and lovely girls, so definitely next time Clare you can stay for spag bol (they asked after you and why you weren't staying for dinner, I felt silly)!

Going to try organise my change of address and also find a GP to register with today, and pick up some Asian groceries from Piccadilly Circus. Friday, have my training day in Ilford and hopefully from 13th July I am work ready!

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

i'm imagining a very cute flat and the close proximity to everything sounds awesome, the perfect urban life!
it'll be nice to have something to put back in to the bank account.
did you have to set up a bank account from nz?

moondancer33 said...

sounds like a great place there.

Neese and I were just talking about friendly cities. We both found Auckland to be grumpy and both Chch and Melb are friendly.

charinthecity said...

Definitely it's a cute flat. I will take photos once Clare's helped me download all my holiday pics off my old memory card. I'll looking at laptops online too. Hopefully I'll find a solution soon!

melb and chch really are friendly cities. I think I have found a friendly 'pocket' of London (lucky!). I get at least a few smiles shopping down my street, which is actually a main one. there are grumpy places here for sure, esp the busy areas like Oxford Circus.

charinthecity said...

I did set up a bank account from NZ, but put a limited amount of NZ $ into it as the exchange rate wasn't too great at the time. Saved it for the big expenses - mainly flat rent and bond.

Anonymous said...

In all, my experiences with ppl in London and the oustkirts was rather pleasant. Sounds like you have found a gem to live in! Good Luck,Char!

Endymia said...

yea, dream come true and I'm still amazed how you found that great flat! actually, today I've been daydreaming about the painting I'm going to work on for your wall! It's been a while since I've drew something for you...It'll be a cool fun ( :