Sunday, 7 September 2008

To Market, to Market

I love a good market day! The weather wasn't very pleasant but it held up for most of the time I was outdoors and I managed to pack in two markets on the Central Line on my Saturday.

First up, Portobello Road. The 'dragon' jewellery lady was there. I've given her the nickname because her stall consists of a huge pile of vintage brooches that you have to pick through (be pricked through?) - all the while being abused by said lady. I have a feeling she really doesn't enjoy her job because she swears audibly under her breath, worse than Gordon Ramsay, and I heard her tell a Spanish-speaking girl that she should go and commit suicide because she's so thick (she asked the lady if the £5 brooch she was holding was real diamond...). I'm not kidding. She's like one of those fairytale dragons breathing fire at anyone coming close to her treasure.


I went to some friendlier stalls and found two vintage brooches and also some 'pips' (vintage army decorative buttons) from the military supplies stall for making into jewellery. It was much more fun chatting to the charming blokes there, and the sweet couple with the vintage jewellery.

I followed some instructions and found the small but cute Broadway Market in Hackney. I didn't buy anything here, but I had a lot of fun looking around and admiring all the food stalls. All the fresh produce looked very appealing. Maybe that dark loaf hiding in the corner would be the equal of Dunedin Il Panifico's famous rye bread? I might have to find out next time.

Finally, to top off my day, a quick trip to Leicester Square and Chinatown to hunt for mooncakes.

One day I must get together with a group of friends for Dim Sum...

My groceries: nissin noodles, fresh wonton noodles, yellow curry paste, nata de coco jelly, sesame mochi, one double yolk white lotus seed mooncake, a jar of Malaysian kaya. I'd better sign off here and get some sleep for Monday ahead. I have to earn my keep for next market day! Have a great week everyone.

4 comments:

moondancer33 said...

... and you didn't buy that plate? ;)

I think that Dragon Lady shouldn't be allowed to trade there and give tourists/shoppers a bad impression or scare them away.

Looks like you won't be missing any food items because you can get all your favourites there, and more.

Tiffany said...

yikes dragon lady sounds horrible. what a bitter old woman! to tell someone to commit suicide is just terrible, i've only heard it said once!
looks like you did quite well with your marketing and all those yummy foods
so many markets for you. i bet you can easily spend all of your paycheck at those lovely markets

charinthecity said...

No, I didn't get the plate. It was £8 but I thought I'd be just as happy with the photo of the plate. A line has to be drawn somewhere! I think the Dragon lady needs an ASBO (another loverly British term...Anti-social Behaviour Order).

linnykins said...

Ooh, you also bought some kaya!