Sunday, 28 September 2008

Autumn in London


Jessica, Kate and I met up in Leicester Square to go and eat Yum Char (Dim Sum) on Saturday. Here's Jessica about to tuck into some chicken feet. The waitress is writing down what she's just laid on the table for us.

The selection is more or less what we usually find, apart from the variation in shrimp dumpling on the top left - it has peas and is a bit Japanese-style in that it's lightly fried. Jessica is one of the nurses from work. She kept saying that the dumplings are much bigger in Vancouver, Canada, where her family is living. I ate lots of my favourite shrimp dumplings nicknamed 'jellyfish' in my family, and Kate savoured her favourite pork char siu buns. She enjoyed them so much we went to find some to take home. We also found some interesting things called 'wife pastries' and colourful tiger rolls.


Kate is my 'twin' at work, she's an occupational therapist from Australia. People often mistake us for each other, especially the one occasion we both had our hair in ponytails and were wearing similarly striped tops by coincidence.

After lunch, we wandered through to Hyde Park and walked down the Serpentine. There were plenty of people out enjoying the sunshine.






We came across the Diana Princess of Wales Memorial Fountain and also the Peter Pan statue.

Kate spied the Swan pub hidden behind the trees for my animal pub collection. Keen eyes.

Today I discovered that Wood Green was blockaded for a Farmers' Market, which was pretty cool. There were some fresh organic fruit and vege, cheeses and baking, and jerk chicken.
I had fun just winding my way through the people and smelling interesting ethnic cooking.

1 comment:

moondancer33 said...

I'm on slow mod again so I can't view some of your pics. Those that did load show a great meal and a great time and nice to put faces to names you mentioned in your emails. I saw in the news that there was a Kiwi food day in London. It was a big gathering of thousands of Kiwis with food like Bluebird chips, Twisties, pies, etc. Didn't see you there.