Friday, 22 August 2008

Op Shop Gods


The Op Shop Gods have decided to bless me today, thank you!!. It's great to be able to kit myself out with new clothes that fit, on a budget. I bought: an unworn MNG silk shirt, unworn shoes, new Accessorize red bag, an unopened Ani Di Franco CD, Snow Patrol CD, two vintage English pink porcelain plates, and a Swiss cowbell keyring for £10. The red bag goes perfectly with my red rose and my outfit for going out to the West End tonight.

The Op Shop Gods are related to the Good Shoe Fairy and today both were at work. If the Op Shop God blesses you, you must leave your change with the charity when you pay for your treasures or next time all you will find are Reader's Digests and manky waistcoats. The Good Shoe Fairy demands that you get those shoes if they fit and are within your budget, otherwise she gets malevolent and you will struggle to find good shoes for ages and she will thwart you with unsightly blisters and calluses if you try to persevere with almost-good-shoes.

My favourite op shop lady was in the store today, I love her sense of humour and her fun fashion sense. Last week she had an amazing pair of tights on, they were poppies against a dark background. A cute little old man accused her of having tattooed legs! I think I am done decorating my room, I painted over my mirror frame and a few opshop finds and thanks to Clare's ingenuity raiding her work's throwaway decorative paper it looks like home. Even the Grogg (a Welsh iconic figurine, mine's a sheep that says 'Happiness is having Welsh Friends' has a name now thanks to Den's help. He's Dai, Welsh version of David, after Wales's patron saint and some other very important Davids of course (hee hee Mum!).

I've been fiddling with my oil paints today but I think I am definitely better with acrylics. Oils have a sensuousness across the paper and I love the depth. But the smell, even of low odour solvent and the slow drying times are things I'm not used to.

Have a brilliant weekend everyone. Bank Holiday here in England!

4 comments:

moondancer33 said...

You are quite THE shopper, you! Such funny 'rules' they have but good fun ;).

More photos of your room, pls?

I don't know what important Davids you're talking about, LOL! Speaking of which, Sting will be in KL, S'pore, Australia, Japan, in Nov, Dec. I read that his 16th century home, the Lake House, is in Wiltshire. That's where the Stonehenge is. 'Getaway' went to the Stonehenge last night and said that it's only 2 hours from London. In 1985, we were in Reading and then headed for Southhampton to look for the Stonehenge - DUH!!

Mrs Fyfe leaves for UK in a week's time - she's all excited, counting down since ages ago.

charinthecity said...

Mum, I can't help it! Shopping is my sport... please please I want my job so I can't get out during the daytime and visit even opshops and supermarkets... I swear it is a talent and an affliction! I may have to come back to NZ to earn more money.

I gather we didn't see the 'henge in 1985 then?

moondancer33 said...

Aargh, that CRB is so frustrating. Now way you can chase them up or find out where you are?

We drove for ages, passing Sherwood forest on our left, heading for Southampton - the wrong direction. We didn't do our research but merely based it on Dad's sense of direction and knowledge saying that it was somewhere there or Cornwall when in reality it is in Wiltshire. So, no, we didn't see the henge. Didn't see Buckingham either.

charinthecity said...

I chase Richard, who looks it up on the computer and also phones up the CRB people to put the pressure on. No word, but it will be three months in a week or two...

I think I'll just have to restrict myself to the house and the library!