I walked home through the park today, and managed to get better footage of a furry friend, so here he is washing his lovely tail.
I had a great day today exploring the Tate Britain Museum with my friend Jamie, newly come from Newcastle. We met from London City Socialising which is a social network for people new to the city and busy city professionals. They also organise social activities like day trips to Cambridge and Oxford, Kiwi/Saffa dinner nights etc although I haven't become a full member and so I'm unable to attend. Brilliant idea considering the population of Greater London is 12 million, I even got in touch with a girl from the Taranaki town of Stratford (we both miss the Mountain). I didn't end up going to the social evening on Warren St I was invited to but by chance Jamie and I started a conversation about painting and found out we both enjoyed seeing London art galleries. Tate Britain was the last major one I hadn't seen. I loved my visit, they even have pamphlets so you can create your own collection tour. I picked up 'The Greatest Hits', 'Rainy Day' and 'Odd Faces' but there were also the 'Baby Name Idea Tour', 'First Date', 'I want to be Swept Off My Feet', 'Animal Fiend' and 'I like Yellow'.

Had a fab 3 hours walking around the gallery looking at British artwork including some that I have admired for many years. There were some jaw-dropping ones, for me especially the Pre-Raphaelites - Burne-Jones's King Cophetua and the Beggar Maid, his epic King Arthur triptych and The Lady of Shalott by Waterhouse, and many pieces by Turner. There were also lots of stunning contemporary works like the amazing pieces by George Noble. It was fun to look around a major collection with someone with the same interest, funnily the same way of wandering from picture to picture, and able to explain things British. I'm happy to have made another cool friend in London; it is an incredible city but it can be desperately lonely.
On the walk to the Tate: a statue called Jete
Vauxhall Bridge
An installation in the garden with some charming flag-bearers.
Enjoy your week everyone, please drop me a note and tell me how you are doing! ^0^
3 comments:
Hehe! Wabbit flag bearers!!
It's cold and rainy here in D'ville (surprise..) I'm going home in a few weeks.
Has anybody tried to tame a squirrel? Too bad they have Lyme Disease, otherwise they would make perfect pets, I think. I was at my bank the other day that I seldom go to, but this furry squirrel met me at the front door and it was communicating with me. I am sure it was asking me for a "donation" before I could go in. Buzzy is its name, the teller told me and she said I could give him a choc chip cookie on my way out, which I did. The little fella stood up on its hind legs and accepted the cookie with two hands! How well-mannered! heehehe
In Thailand and also in Spain, you can buy squirrels for pets. They seem to be imported from Korea though and are small and grey compared to these chubby critters.
Post a Comment