
To go into a personal discussion of UK vs NZ fish and chips has the potential to relaunch into a full-fledged debate between me and my beloved, so here's the difference as impartially as I can state it!
1/ UK chippies have heating cabinets, while in NZ 'fush n chup' shops they always cook to order.
2/ UK chips tend to be quite soft, while NZers like them crisp on the outside, soft on the inside.
3/ Mushy peas. I like this UK tradition. Apparently they are marrowfat peas, not your ordinary frozen peas.
4/ Salt and vinegar. An optional addition in the UK. In NZ, you might be offered 'chicken salt', also delicious.
5/ Lack of 'shark' option in UK chippies. No, I don't know if the generic 'fish' option in NZ really is shark... but it's cheaper than hoki, cod or gurnard!
6/ Chippies tend to wear white hats while they're on duty. Natty.
7/ I don't think English chippies do donuts and deep fried mars bars like NZers do. But apparently Scottish chippies will fry anything, including Skittles. I haven't been able to confirm this yet...
8/ Unfortunately for Mum, the UK roeburger seems to be a thing of the past. NZ paua fritters are still on the menu, though they are a bit of an acquired taste.
1 comment:
aussies have a serious lack of chippies!
Post a Comment