I take bit of an interest in sampling different chip/crisp flavours when I travel, it's one of the things Mum's asked me about since I've been in the Northern Hemisphere. New Zealand loves its chips and we've had great flavours like Garden Salad, Salmon and Capers, Roast Lamb and Mint and so on. We've even found cucumber flavoured chips at an Asian store in Wellington - surprisingly addictive. To be honest, the 'Undressed' Kettle Chip (no salt) has been my favourite since I've been here. But more adventurously, I've been hunting down the legendary Marmite crisp for a while now (I am mad on UK Marmite, not to be confused with the Southern variety made by Sanitarium, totally different altogether)... and today I found them!

I think I've also hit the jackpot for unusual flavours. Walkers have a competition for a new flavour happening at the moment and there are 'Crispy Duck and Hoisin' (which also tastes of cucumber), 'Builder's Breakfast', 'Fish n Chips', 'Cajun Squirrel', 'Onion Bhaji' and 'Chili and Chocolate' crisps to try! I'm sending a few of the more exotic flavours; Marmite, Squirrel, Fish n Chip, and Chocolate home for the family to taste. Watch out for the mailman.
It made me think about what other flavours would be a good idea. Mayonnaise? Shepherd's Pie? Butter Chicken?
...What flavour would you invent?
6 comments:
Bluebird has just released their Kiwi big taste : tomato sauce, dips and .. plain, I think. Nothing as exotic and adventurous as what you get in the UK! I've never eaten a squirrel so it'll be interesting to taste what squirrel chips taste like, if it'll be close to the taste of the real animal! Will wait patiently for the mailman and sign up for a life membership at the gym in the meantime, LOL.
I think 'sambal' chips would be great! or Thai papaya salad with bits of peanuts.
wooops, make that 'Kiwi As' Bluebird chips. The one I'm eating right now is 'tomato sauce and mince pie flavour'. There isn't a distinct mince pie flavour in it.
oh lord, that is going to be one salty bag of crisps!
like the idea of butter chicken! could go peking duck maybe...... suckling pig......hmmmm........I do like a good salt and vinegar chip.......mmmmmmm....... simple and perfect........
How's about Durian and Petai chips?
You can tell I am still in that part of the world!!
Durian chips... urrggh!! Malaysian satay would be nice though. And the suckling pig.
Post a Comment