Wednesday, 21 January 2009

How We Get Around...

Weather proof, yes, homelike.... errr.... nice thought?
Taking the public transport is part of life in Central London, so on Sunday we paid a visit to the London Transport Museum in Covent Garden.

We had just been to Chinatown for our favourite dim sim/yum char and admired the red lanterns for Chinese New Year, so we were happy to browse around and also collect all the stamps on the museum ticket (it's set up a little like an orienteering course!).

The museum has a great layout, with the elevator being a 'time machine' into the past, starting with horse-drawn carriages and omnibuses, treacherous river journeys on the Thames and the old classic walking; to the development of the underground rail system and modern transport.



Here I am with an old Metropolitan Line carriage.

Den with her partly stamped ticket, looking for the next stop.

Together beside the Omnibus, pulled by three horses.

Some classic double-deckers. Here are a few things that amused me...

A cheeky passenger and a courtesy sign.


I missed a stop once because I accidentally took a mini-nap on the Tube. It wasn't so bad that I ended up in Walthamstow though! The Tube is still a good way to get to Oxford Street for your shopping. And Chiltern Strolls and Rambles, including Coombe Hill. There was also a booklet on where to find blackberries for picking on Blackberry Sunday, what a great idea!

Buses need rehab, too, though they probably don't require physio.


I love the old advertisements and found the early Tube maps fascinating.

I think the Museum gave me a greater appreciation of the transport I take across London nearly everyday, and maybe a bit more tolerance for when it's difficult to get from A to B. It really has taken a long time to grow into what it is today!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They did a fine job i presenting the old transport system. I love that they have mannequins in their period costumes! Thanks for being our tour guide. We certainly totally missed that one when we were there:(