We never worked out what this was for, but it was very eye-catching...
And for some reason they used to grow grass on their rooves! I think loft insulation is a little more practical.
Inside they used to sleep 2 to a bed, 4-6 beds per room, and used to eat and work in the same room too. They didn't have windows until relatively recently, so used to use fish oil lamps for light. Not a pleasant smell!
As you could barely go outside all winter, they spent their time combing, spinning and knitting wool. Even the children had to help, and if they weren't able to wear new clothes for Christmas, legend says a giant cat comes along and eats them!
4 comments:
The lovely Icelandic tour guide did hastily mention that in more PC versions the cat just eats the children's Christmas dinner!
I have heard that the Fins have a morbid CHristmast monster as well. They come knocking on each childrens door at night! The rest I forgot but it is a whole townsmen dressed up as monsters! scary!
The sculpture at the very top looks like a Viking ship that isn't going anywhere!
I love sod roofed houses!
And I love that room under the eaves- perfect!
Although I probably couldn't stand up straight in there!
Post a Comment