Take the liver, lungs & heart of a sheep and boil them. Mince the meats
and mix with chopped onions, toasted oatmeal, salt, pepper, and spices. Take one
properly cleaned sheep's stomach. Stuff the cleaned stomach with the prepared
contents. Sew up the stomach (leaving enough room for expansion to avoid a large messy explosion) and boil
Or you can just buy them from Waitrose!
Doesn't look too appetising...
Before the meal is begun, the Selkirk Grace is read:
Some hae meat and canna eat, and some wad eat that want it, but we hae meat and we can eat, and sae the Lord be thankit
And then the serious work of addressing the haggis begins (it's quite long and very Scottish!), before it is stabbed with a dagger (kitchen knife).
6 comments:
Doesn't sound too bad, liver, lungs, heart, for one like me who sometimes like weird stuff, lol. Must try it one day. Oh, we tried roo meat in Brissy and didn't like it. It left a bloody taste in the mouth. Maybe it's the marinade it was soaking in. We couldn't finish and had to chuck it away.
How is it compared to Spam?
It's more like stuffing... oats and meatloaf flavour. Not like Spam at all.
black pudding next on the list?
Happy Haggis Day, you brave soul.
I've tried vegetarian haggis and it really wasn't the tastiest thing I've tried. You dessert looks fabulous.
BTW, I'm not exactly in Greenwich (I wish) but in that general area. It's a good 20-minute invigorating hike away! xx
Thanks Dave for addressing the Haggis by the way (and writing the blog entry)... I can't cope with a Scottish accent when the poem is that epic!
Post a Comment