
Barri Gottic. near the Catedral
I couldn´t stay away! I wandered into the sports bar across the street and now I´m typing very quickly because I´ve only got 30mins... hmm, hard to think about what to write under pressure. Yesterday I went walking to the Placa Reial which is a stone´s throw away from where I´m living on Las Ramblas. There was supposed to be a flea market here, but it was very small. Mostly middle to elderly aged men swapping bottle caps, cigar labels, coins, postcards and war memorabilia which was rather sweet really. Some of them said ´hola´so I said hola back... I guess I was a novelty amongst all the menfolk.
I stood in a square beside the famous Catedral in the old town centre listening to some cello and Spanish guitar, when a bird pooped on my head! Luckily my sunglasses perched on my head caught most of it. I had to clean up with wet wipes and then headed into McD´s for an impromptu shampoo and cleaned off my sunnies three times. Thank goodness McD liquid soap smells so nice! Italians think it is a sign of luck but I just felt incredibly unlucky! Hair got shampooed and conditioned three times.

Most of the shops were shut because it was Sunday, so I caught the 24 bus from Placa Catalunya to Park Guell in Zona Alta. Park Guell is famous as the Gaudi park, with many fantastical viaducts and sculptures, even a house where he actually lived.

Door from the Gaudi Museum

Casa Gaudi
It was supposed to be a park full of houses for Barcelona´s elite, but actually only one house (Gaudi´s) was completed in his lifetime and it´s now a public park. I had fun hiding out in the Washerwoman´s Promenade and underneath the viaducts and looking through the Museo Gaudi. There were many musicians playing around the park, very atmospheric.

The park was definitely the highlight of Barcelona for me so far. Gaudi´s houses have always looked a gorgeous but a bit dark and bathroom-like due to all the tiling in Taschen books that I´ve read. But they really make sense when you visit them in the Spanish heat they are blissful like an oasis. Lovely and light but cool.


I got a bit lost wandering around trying to find a creative way back to the apartment and avoid busy Las Ramblas, and was in the Barri Gothic and found a fun shop on Ample. PapaBubble is a shop of ´artisans caramels´, candy art that looks like it´s in a lab! I watched some heart shaped lollipops being made, firstly the translucent red candy was thrown and pulled over a metal hook to densify it and add air, which gave it a silky sheen. Then it gets pulled into spirals and put into moulds.
I have to confess now that today I spent doing some shopping. I went to Glories on the Metro and got a bit lost trying to find Mercat Del Encants, which is a flea market. Came across a MegaCentre instead so happily browsed through the mall and found some replacement ballet flats (whew) in Carrefour. Had to toss my NZ ballet flats as they were just worn out. Holes and the soles coming off after 10 European destinations on foot. Also replaced my shoulder bag as it was badly damaged in some Parisian metro turnstiles.
Finally found the Mercat and struggled to understand how much the buttons I bought Neese cost (eventually figured out through my limited Spanish and gestures that it was 6 for 1 Euro). Back on the Metro again and went to Sfera on the way back to the apartment. They had an outlet shop on the top floor so I stocked up on some clothes as London so far has seemed expensive. Bought 2 long sleeved tops, one long-line top and a skirt for 15Euro.
Tomorrow I plan to take the funicular (I´m not quite sure what this is!) and the cable car to Montjuic to see Barcelona from up high. Then the rest of the day, exploring Born and plucking up the courage to eat a menu del dias with whatever animal parts might be on offer. Really, I found out that even my roast chicken came with the very lower part of the chook´s digestive system... I know Koreans like to eat this, but it went in the rubbish!
It has been so much fun traveling, the best June ever, but will be happy to make it back to London and start earning the pounds. One of my priorities (after job and flat) will be to get a laptop sometime to stay connected. Wireless everywhere, so would be a lifeline.
6 comments:
Hah, you got pooed on. Tee hee!
did you buy lotto/lottery? You might win a big prize ;).
i got pooed on in alaska!
this a weird feeling, having excrement plopped onto you.
i know what you mean about settling down and not living out of suitcases.
yay for free wireless and a paying job!
It means you were special so the bird pooped on you:)
Thanks for the assurances re: the poop incident guys! I felt dirrrrrty!
shit happens....literary!(sorry I laughed out loud when I read that bit! but I know how it feels, happend to me as well...)
I love to see Gaudi's work for real..!
Post a Comment