
Ciao Bella!
Arrived this afternoon on the Eurostar from Venice to Firenze, a very speedy and smooth connection. Florence smells like gasoline, cigarettes and leather.... it really tickles your nose! So far, no triggered memories. I think those arches and portrait artists might be elsewhere?
Walking through the town
Pinocchio is definitely here, though. You can buy a small one on a string for 1 Euro, or a Pinocchio pencil. He is everywhere!
Ponte Vecchio
On Sunday, I was lucky enough to go to a contemporary dance performance at Teatro Malibran near Rialto. My visit to Venice coincided with the Biennale of Venezia's international contemporary dance festival! It was the highlight of my visit, to be able to see a performing art in a Venetian theatre, and most of the audience was local. Very special.
Teatre Malibran
A Venus in the Doge's Palace
Piazza San Marco
In the courtyard of the Palace
Yesterday I made it to Piazza di San Marco in the morning and visited the Doge's palace. I run out of superlatives to describe this place, it is amazing... each room in the Doge's apartments is intricately detailed, with oil paintings, stucco, and woodwork. I especially liked the room spanning the width of the wing and decorated with maps of the ancient world, including Tartaria. No need to mention that NZ was not featured! The palace also houses the largest oil painting in the world, actually it is the wall and ceiling of the grand looking council room of Venice. Imagine a room that is so large it is like a ballroom, then the wall and ceiling entirely covered with paintings. Across from the judgement rooms and armory, you come across the Bridge of Sighs to the prisons, ducking down to avoid hitting your head.
Palace Courtyard
Stairs to the Doge's apartment rooms
The Giant's Staircase
Bridge of Sighs
Prisons
On the train today, sat with a lovely couple from Minneapolis, Jill and Trent, who were touring Europe in a group of retired and working teachers. It was great to be able to chat with them about traveling in Italy, and also little things of interest like the current American political situation and on a more light note 'Men in Trees!'
When I found the hostel, the owner Giuseppe took the time to introduce himself and draw on a map of Firenze for me, all the attractions to go to. He spoke in a mix of Italian and English, apparently he has lived in NZ in Hamilton, Napier, Wellington and Christchurch (I think he meant visited). Sometimes he is hard to understand but he and his wife Wilda have warm personalities and you can see how much students love them from the postcards on his wall.

Copy of David in Piazza del Signoria
I followed another hosteller to the Accademia, where the real David is - there is also a bronze copy in a square and many copies in marble. No matter how many pictures you have seen of him, nothing beats seeing him in real life. Unfortunately, no photos allowed but you can find many (enhanced in certain areas) souvenirs including aprons and boxer shorts. I leave the rest to your imagination.
I had my little 'Breakfast at Tiffany's' moment eating melone gelato outside some gold and jewellery shops on the Ponte Vecchio (it is very hot today). Gelato and rolled pizzas are some of my favourite snacks to keep me going from museums and churches. Although now I am becoming more selective about which ones to see as the admission can be pricey. Then wandered through the markets, mainly selling things aimed at tourists, leather articles and silk scarves and ties.

Living Statue
Food in Italy very yummy, they have pasta with all sorts of toppings. The simple Pomodoro is tomato with delicious fresh basil, tonno e erbe is tuna and herbs, and scoglio is a mix of seafood with tomato. Slurp.
The mosquitoes are starting to plague me so I better leave you here. Ciao ciao! I will be taking a train to Roma on the 19th and spend a few days there, perhaps see Pope Benedicte on Sunday. Then catch some train perhaps to Siena or Pisa working my way up the South of France towards Barcelona. Have a great time in Melbourne, Mum; and enjoy your holidays Neese! Tell me all about it.
6 comments:
Oooooh!!! I spent this afternoon searching for Alice Atelier the mask shop near Ponte Vecchio (not having the address with me) and I just looked it up online.... turns out my hostel is on the same street as this shop! So happy!
you're off to see the pope!
are you put off by the amount of touristy things?that put me off mexico a bit, you just want to be whisked away to where the locals hang. after a while we found these places, it sure beats tourist choked avenues!
mmmm gelatos~
phew, I thought you went missing when you didn't post for a couple of days ;). Glad you to read your post and are having an 'enriching' experience.
I'm now in Melb; got in 15 mins early. Jim and his dad came to fetch me from the airport, spoilt, aren't I so I needn't use the bus. Right now, I'm with Samuel, perusing his university computer lab's internet to check my mail and your blog. S will leave for HK tonight and Jim will be my tour guide for the next two days so it looks like I won't even need the map you brought home for me.
Oh, I saw some wombats... they certainly like to sleep and they snore when they sleep.
Take good care and I lookf forward to your next post.
Hee hee! Snoring wombats, I love it. Did you see a tassie devil too? and do they look like you-know-who? I am posting when I can, internet in Venice was expensive and a long walk. Much easier here in Florence and cheaper by half so I can sit down during siesta hour to catch up with everyone.
Ahhh...David! Did you pinch his butt?? hahahaha
No, you are definitely not allowed to touch the David! You would be escorted off my stern museum curators and scorned by the European toursits...
Post a Comment