Sunday, 1 June 2008

London

I am having some problems learning how to use Clare`s laptop today, so pardon the jumbly post! Finally made it to London and... amazingly no jet lag after toughing it out the first day. 29 hours airtravel was definitely not as hard as I thought; six movies, a sleep and 2 stops, lots of Tetris and Hangman and 2 dinners, 2 breakfasts, lunch and snack and there was London Heathrow. Clare`s flat is 5 minutes walk from a Tube Station directly off the Picadilly Line from the airport, I was very impressed.

London is warm but overcast at the moment so from when you wake up til about 9pm at night, the sky and light looks the same all day. Parts of London could be any part of the Western world, including NZ, and then something iconic like an ancient looking pub with an interesting name like the Crooked Surgeon, or a red doubledecker bus comes into view. One of my issues at the moment is remembering to stand on the right of the escalator at the Tube stations, it`s so firmly ingrained in me that I should stand on the left!

Today we went to East London to find the Sunday Upmarket, taking the Tube to Aldgate East and wandering down Whitechapel St.

Big ears.

Flower Market

Picadilly

Clare, Dan and Joel at St James Square having some icecream. We met up in Chinatown yesterday for a Chinese Buffet meal then wandered around Soho and Picadilly.

Design Gallery in East London. Not sure what this chair is about, but I like the funky colour combination.
This one is made out of push-pins.

A cardboard knight.

Some cool collage art. It was fantastic just wandering, I only found out about Rob Ryan`s papercut art before I left NZ and today we stopped by Tatty Devines and found out that he had an exhibition there, so I got to see some originals! It was a collaboration between Rob and Tatty Devine, so papercut art and jewellery together. Awesome.


Here I am at the Sunday Upmarket, located in the Old Truman Brewery. Lots of tempting food and very cool stalls.

Here`s Clare with a summer fruit tart! Very yummy with the seasonal strawberries, blueberries and huge blackberries. Next time I think I`ll definitely try the Ethiopian vege rolls, they looked fabulous. We were so happy to find the market, and definitely will be back. The flower market was closing as we wandered through, but what we did see was lovely. Very cute plants and flowers, including kumquat and lemon trees and gorgeous bunches of sweet William.

Here`s an old Yoong girls joke! The rastafarian actually sells coconut juice in the shell.

Topsy~turvy...
Here is Dubai from the air. It was a really alien looking landscape to me, all sand, glass and white buildings. There were swarms of construction cranes and I managed to see the Palm Jumeira island from my window seat. It is beyond belief how much construction is happening in Dubai.


See you all later with more posts and photos!







4 comments:

Tiffany said...

OOOOO loved loved your entry!
The weather there looks great, summer already eh. Over here is still cloudy and rainy. Poos.
omg ,berry season! It is heavenly.
I'm so jealous that you get to explore all the neat things London has to offer. I will definitely have to get my arse into gear to visit ya!
(and have coconut juice from a coconut. Get that spoon out!)

moondancer33 said...

So great!! Already, you have seen more of London than I have although I (and you) had been through the city twice.

Clare looks as beautiful as always.

Last night we watched the doco on the building of 'The World' in Dubai.

It's cold and wet, wet, wet here so enjoy your warm tunnel days.

linnykins said...

Wow, amazing!! Sounds like a pretty sweet time over there.

xxx

charinthecity said...

Hiya! Glad you liked my entry...Clare was very patient with me doing it because her laptop has Japanese keyboard and most of the Windows directions are in Japanese, I was dependent on her to help me out. The cut and paste definitely doesn`t like me!

Today I`ll try and sort myself out with phone and head to the Reed International Centre to check in with my agency. Might leave it til later in the week to see the famous sights.

When I finish my little Euro mini tour, will have to decide which neighbourhood to live in, too. They are all so different and an area can change in character suddenly.

The Tube is interesting, it`s like going into a gopher hole and popping up in another area of the city. Not well ventilated, so even though it`s late spring it can be pretty hot.

Tiff you definitely have to come visit. Should I save seeing Prague for when you come?