Tuesday, 8 April 2008

Melbourne Diary


Melbourne is a city that really excites and inspires me - this time I was armed with a digital camera! Here is a bit of my fun and artsy 5 days wandering the city.

The Yarra River


Here's Brother Francis (Frank) in his usual spot in the lounge at the Nunnery. He's hijacked a German girl's blanket.


Here's the balcony from my dorm. I had to lift a very heavy window to get out, but it was the perfect place to chill. I really like the facades of all the old houses and villas in Fitroy, and the old cobbled streets - even if they do trip me up from time to time. I had a roommate also called Char(maine) from Essex.


Just about opposite is the Royal Exhibition Building.

Fitzroy is my favourite place in Melbourne, it's easy to see why. It's full of bohemian, artsy community feeling and fun shops and yummy cafes. You don't need to look far for inspiration or another way to interact with the environment, it reaches out to grab you off the sidewalk. Here's a bit of a snippet...

My guilty little secret is that I haven't seen the Rocky Horror show - I know, the shame! - but I know enough to say this is a tribute to Audrey.

Kewpie Building.

Artist's Garden.

Perseverance Hotel.

Community couch, there are a few around the corners of Brunswick Street.


Fitzroy Library. A serious contender for Headquarters if I ever live in this city!


A collection of fabulous and fun community and street art in Fitzroy.



On Saturday, I met up with Greta and went to the Rose St Artists' Market. She's thinking of having a stall there ( go for it Greta!). My favourite stall this time was a man who made jewellery out of things like cutlery and ashtrays. I spent ages looking at all of his work, and asked him if he'd noticed if there were 'fork people' and 'spoon people'. He said definitely!
One of his regular customers who buys his biggest works went for a cookie-cutter necklace, and I got away with a dessertspoon pendant although I've got a small collection of teaspoons.

It was fantastic to meet up with Greta (haven't seen her in 3+ years since we both worked on High St in Chch), in her new city. We had a delicious meal at vegetarian Soul Food on Smith St. One day, I'll have to go to Lentil as Anything, where you pay what you think your meal was worth!

Window shopping is irresistible here.


Here's a wander briefly through the CBD.


Block Arcade

The Black in Fashion Exhibition at the National Gallery of Victoria. Not many photos as I discovered late that photography was allowed. I was pretty scandalised when a man beside me started loudly snapping pics of every piece of art with a guide right next to him, until I realised it was OK.


Circus poodle in the Art Centre.



The Degraves St Cat is getting covered over gradually.

Goodbye to Melbourne from the plane. Hope to come back again...
More Melbourne photos are to come - there's too many for one post!

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

ooo i love the fitzroy area as well! i spent an entire hot hot day hunting grafitti. the street art has such a high turn over rate, a camera is best!
ooo this entry makes me want to move to melb now!

charinthecity said...

Hey Tiff, do you have those photos online? Would love to have a look! I was a bit sad the Degraves Cat was getting swallowed, but I guess the beauty of streetart is that it is dynamic and it does have a shelf life. Seriously thinking about moving here after the big OE - we'll see!

Tiffany said...

Hey char, here are the photos i took of my aussie trip in 2007:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/muntedkowhai/sets/72157594560715911/
imagine, you can go bansky hunting when you're in london!
ooo so JEALOUS!

charinthecity said...

That's awesome! Wow, the cat really has been covered over... I couldn't remember what it looked like. I did see one of the little cute girls though, that artist is still active. You're welcome to come and visit in the UK you know! We could do some fun little trips around Europe too.