Wednesday, 21 November 2012

Week 3

Rain has halted play here for the last couple of days - the downside of building in November in Britain unfortunately. Still, progress has been made...

The drain for the new WC:



Followed by the floor insulation and a waterproof membrane:


































And then a nice concrete floor - finally no more sea of mud!




And so, with the walls most of the way up to the first lift (ie needs scaffolding!), today we have quite an impressive looking, if rather damp, set of walls:


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's coming along real well! I keep imagining this narrow but nice garden you will have.

bluerose said...

Good to see you are able to get the same bricks :).

bluerose said...

oh, I can see it's a different construction method compared to here. Here, they would build a timber frame first and then clad it with the bricks veneer for the external walls; insulation batts and gipboard for the internal. Will yours have a layer of insulation?

DaveEvans said...

Yes construction in the UK is quite different to many other places. I think it all goes back to the great fire of London, 1666, as houses had to be built of brick and stone after that. They have only just started building timber frame houses again in the last 10-15 years or so. Most houses are still built with an outer brick wall and an inner wall built of concrete blocks. They leave a large cavity (100-150mm) between the layers for insulation and damp proofing. If you look carefully at the pics, you can see the yellow insulation material stuffed between the 2 walls. Its very warm and very strong, with no danger of rotten timber. However it is more expensive and slower, and results in very thick walls (300mm = 1 foot or more)

bluerose said...

oh my, you virtually build two permanent material walls with insulation in the middle.

I guess our method here is more suited to our shakey ground. I dislike our gipboard walls.

Anonymous said...

NZ and US are similar,too. I don't think a lot of ppl here can afford what you have there. Ours are so flimsy compared to yours:(

Tiffany said...

The older houses in Aussie are usually double bricked as well. You should see how fast they build houses here! Our neighbors house is on an eight week deadline!

Tiffany said...

The older houses in Aussie are usually double bricked as well. You should see how fast they build houses here! Our neighbors house is on an eight week deadline!

DaveEvans said...

What are the newer ones in Aussie built out of? Yours seemed to be built v quick! Although I guess if the builders know the plan inside out it must help - that seems to be half the battle with a bespoke build!

Tiffany said...

Ours is pine frames.it was one of the builders best plans so they build quite a few of it.we built during slow season as well. I hear Aussie homes are one of the worlds biggest in terms of average homes