I notice a lot of interest in the comments about the proposed layout. I appreciate the interest, after all, I have been obsessing over all of these details for over a year now!
So, for those kitchen enthusiasts, here is our current thinking:
And for all those interested, our current working plans for the build:
Ground floor
And first floor:
So, for those kitchen enthusiasts, here is our current thinking:
And for all those interested, our current working plans for the build:
Ground floor
And first floor:




8 comments:
That's going to make a HUGE difference to your floor plan. I was in a friend's house in Basingstoke a few years ago, and was surprised how their layout is not as opened as the houses in NZ or the US, similar to yours. Why is the open house layout not popular in UK?
My guess is because the housing stock in Britain is much older than that of NZ or the UK and also there's not as much land area available. British houses tend to have neighbours on at least 2 sides so the majority of the windows are to the front and the back vs NZ or US, more land, more windows on all sides.
The plans look great, love it :)!! What an improvement it will be when it's done!! Now I can see the sinks are going to be in the best position.
I agree with Char, old houses and not very big. New build houses are quite rare here and usually built by a big developer trying to squeeze houses into a small space. It is definitely trendy to have open plan areas here just the same, but its harder to achieve with an older house.
Also, average room sizes in the UK are some of the smallest of the developed world... Short on space perhaps?
I just thought of something! Must be the older houses in UK don't have central heating. That's why the open floor plan is not popular?
A lot of the Victorian station houses here in Melbourne has the same long layout whereby there are no windows on the sides,only at the front and back. The living area ISP almost always towards the back of the house with bedrooms at the front.
Must be a cultural thing brought over by Victorian Brits. Although these are single storey houses I take it? People here are totally obsessed about being overlooked I think, hence no side windows...
Post a Comment