Tuesday, 23 August 2011

Seremban

Seremban is my Dad's hometown, and where his family home is. We lived there for a while when I was a toddler before immigrating to NZ and we went back for many summers in December to visit my grandparents and extended family. I have many fond memories of my family, playing with cousins, swimming at the Club and reading lots and lots of books there. With Dave this time it was a flurry of introducing him to my family and lots of yummy food!

When Dave and I were met by my Mum and Dad at the airport, Mum asked me what Malaysian food I was craving and I didn't hesitate to rattle off a long list. I think Dave was a bit surprised by how long the list was, but seriously, Malaysian food is wonderful! We managed to work our way through most of my favourites including eating satay after stepping off the plane, being treated to wonton noodles in Penang by Uncle SP, waking up early to go to the wet market where they have a superb beef noodle stall, nine-layer cake, my step-grandma's 'red tortoises' (the cakes with a red dot in the photo below), and a the grand finale of a delicious wedding feast personally chosen dish by dish by my Uncle TM. My Mum's best efforts to go to the restaurant that serves Marmite Crab and Duck-Egg Crab before we left for the UK were unfortunately thwarted but I think I will just make up for it next time by ordering double portions of each. Mmmmm.

Dave also earned respect from my family by showing an appreciation of the pungent, creamy king of fruits, the durian. I still think the best description of it remains 'garlic custard', but there are a lot of less favourable descriptions! We watched 'Eat, Pray, Love' recently and the love interest warned Julia Roberts saying "Tastes like dirty feet".




Top left photo, the sugar cane stall above the wet market.

I found it difficult to describe the family house to Dave before we visited - it's a almost a collection of buildings joined up by a roof. My cousin did a wonderful post about the house and being in Malaysia a couple of years ago... My step-grandma had adopted a new dog called Snowy.



Raising a toast at our wedding dinner, for my family who could not come to our wedding in England. I wore a traditional Vietnamese dress called an 'ao dai' we had custom made overnight at a Hoi An tailor shop. We came straight after the photo shoot which is why I look a little different. I still had my false eyelashes, red hair-spray and double-eyelid tape on! It is a strange experience but does seem to make a difference in the photos as I look more glamorous than normal.



My lovely, huge Malaysian family.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

what a lovely post! makes me want to go back!
how are you settling back into normal but married life, char?

charinthecity said...

Hiya Cuz!
Enjoying being back in Britain but life not quite back to normal yet. I begin my new locum job next week, that will make life feel a bit more normal I think.

xxx