Thursday, 25 August 2011

Home



On our third date, we were waiting in a slow line for our wellies (gumboots) so that we could go and see the installation. I think the conversation must have turned to what music we liked, because Dave said 'Here' and handed me his Ipod and earphones and we shared the left and right piece between us. I remember such a warm feeling, realising that the person I was with shared the same taste in music. There were familiar well-loved songs on his playlist that were like an old friend and there were new songs there that I loved instantly.

Recently we both fell for Cinematic Orchestra's 'To Build a Home' and it's been quite apt as we are beginning an early search and ponder into buying a home of our own. I've called many places 'home' and still do - home is a diverse place for me encompassing my family, my past and my memories. One of the realisations I had when I went back to New Zealand is that the houses that we call 'home' are always changing, even when you are not there. When we were in Malayisa, my paternal family home had also changed in the six years I'd been away but still had such a draw and familiarity, though only full when my family members inhabited it. Perhaps a home is just the place where you have your family, and your memories reside. A sense of security and comfort.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One can be torn because we simply have too many "homes". But, I always feel I am "home" when I come back to 6910 SW Potomac St.