With a weekend off in Invercargill and Char working, I decided to head up the road to Queenstown for a second visit. They've been having a lot of snow and the mountains are looking pretty spectacular.
The road up was very scenic. Just watch out for the four legged friends sharing the road!
It was quite difficult weaving the car around them. Not the most considerate road users!
The 'Kingston Flyer' - a steam train still running on a few kilometers of track, just for the tourists.
And then finally Queenstown itself, nestled in the natural harbour at the base of enormous snow-capped mountains. Opposite is the mountain range known as 'The Remarkables' for obvious reasons.
The Skyline gondola is a rapid route up to some stunning views:
I then took the car up to the Coronet Peak ski field, launch site for my paragliding jump earlier in the year. And for my first attempt at fitting snow-chains, I got there in the end. It all looks a little different now compared to our summer visit...
And the skiers were making the most of the new snow:
I had a great day exploring the surrounding area, including Arrowtown and Glenorchy.
The sunset over the mountains was spectacular.
1 comment:
STUNNING!!! Wish I'd been there with you, I had a much less exciting Saturday. The mountains look fabulous, so LOTR. Love your hair at the mo, too. See you soon!
Post a Comment