In New Zealand, there's currently a series of commercials for Lotto (the national lottery), which poses the questions 'what would you do if you won Lotto'? It follows an old man who travels to Europe looking for his past amores from during the war. Firstly he goes to France (gaining much admiration from the young women on the plane and bus enroute) then to the Pacific Islands and also Italy. The woman he finds in France is a gum-smacking granny and he runs away, throwing his red roses into the rubbish as he goes, he doesn't even try to see the Pacific Island beauty after he spots her giant knickers on the washing line, and he thinks he finds the girl of his dreams except the girl who has answered the door is in fact, the granddaughter. My family knows I can't resist the French granny especially.
Carousel
You are in Florence..
So all the while I've been in Europe, I've kept an eye out for the cute Nonnas. Happy to say there are many. I sat next to one on the vaporetto in Venice, and watched as a feisty little grandma defended her right to a seat to some tourists, she must have been almost ninety! I admire the way the vaporetto staff help the elderly on and off the water taxis, it must be difficult to balance on a moving platform. There were also some grannies looking very groomed and chic in Paris, especially in Montmartre. The grandpas, mind are also very sweet. I stopped to admire some Passion flowers on the street and one of them tipped his hat to me and agreed 'C'est jolie'. And a very dapper Italian grandpa told me my outfit was beautiful!
River Arno
Now, you probably want to know about Italian food. I'm a bit ashamed to tell you that up to last night, I've been intimidated by the thought of dining in a restaurant alone. There's the propriety of courses and drinks to follow (primi piatti, main course, dessert, wine) plus the pitfalls of service and cover charge. Plus usually with lots of walking and sunshine my appetite is strangely lower than usual. So I have been buying curious and familiar things from the supermarket, and eating at Brek, which is the Italian fast food restaurant where you order your plates and put it on a tray (but very yummy and cheap). There are many different types of cheese, as in France, but the focus here is more on the soft cheeses like mozzarella and ricotta instead of your scary moldy ones that look like furry brains even to me.
Arches
Ponte Vecchio
The Duomo
The Golden Door
Another Piazza
Last night, I got back to the hostel at 9pm and discovered Giuseppe really had meant that he serves lunch (not dinner) for 8 euro. So I had to venture out and find myself a place to eat! I let my nose lead me, and ended up at Guido's, a trattoria on Via Faenza. Well, I was seated right next to a framed, signed picture. Of masks by Prof. Agostino of Alice Atelier! A good sign for me.
The Europe of my childhood... horses
Portrait artists
and more arches...
I soon got over my nerves about being on my own because I was gradually stuffed full of some of the best Italian food I've ever eaten. I chose a tasting menu for 14 euro, which included a glass of red wine, half litre of mineral water, a choice of spaghetti Bolognese/alla pomodoro, chicken or fish with beans for mains, and creme caramel to finish, with bread to mop the whole event up. Even the fries that came with the chicken were especially good, very crispy and light. I felt like I had had a feast and waddled down the street back to my hostel after the extended dinner. I definitely can't eat like that every night (even in Paris, it was hard to eat so much rich food so I have been buying a lot of fruit and vege to munch) but I will try to sample some famous dishes like fried zucchini flowers and seafood perhaps in Rome.

Alice Atelier
Visited Prof. Agostino in his shop today, but he was very busy chatting with one of his customers. I was surprised to compare how much thicker and heavier his masks are, with the lighter Venetian ones by the Boldrin brothers. He still teaches maskmaking over a week course for 350 euro. No sign of Alice.
Florence's most famous family, the Medicis
This morning, I went early to the Galleria del'Accademia Museum which is famed for its Renaissance art in particular, including Da Vinci, Michaelangelo, Carravaggio, Botticelli, Lippi and many other famous names which find themselves in the history books. Just amazing to see 'La Primavera' and the 'Birth of Venus' in real life (large paintings) as well as many recognisable pieces of reknowned art. On the way out, I took some photos of the copy of David for Mum in the Piazza della Signoria.
Jason and Medusa
Tiff- you are right, so many tourists here (in their thousands per day it's said) and unfortunate to say that some of the ones who most grate can be Americans, (and they are definitely not Canadians you can tell!). But I emphasise and must say there are many who are very lovely, warm, insightful and genuine people including some I've met, who make up for the ones who are inconsiderate, rude, messy and loud and spoil the experience for others. Perhaps it's just because there are many of them. I have been asked whether Venice has a metro system and loudly 'where's the bathroom?' in the middle of the street, also witnessed vocal Christian lectures to children in a church where locals are praying in silence! So I like to get away from the hordes sometimes and visit the local places (I like residential areas, supermarkets, gardens and bookstores) after I see the famous sights, which you just can't not go to in Italy...
La Chiesa della Signoria
The Clocktower
Another arch
5 comments:
oh lord char, i was holding my tummy reading about all the food you had at that tottaria. lordy! i was full just reading about it! hahahaha
i know what you mean, it is daunting to eat by your lonesome self at a restaurant.i had to do that at the tapa place in dunedin because it was valentines and i did not want to eat at the dorm, that would be tragic!!
i can't wait to hear about your south of france adventures, nor your spanish ones
!!!
Dear Char,
I have been following your adventures daily and I enjoy your postings. Glad that you are enjoying the time of your life in Europe.
Please take good care and keep up the good postings
Love,
Dad.
I haven't read your post yet but will do later. Didn't get much chance to use the internet. Just want to let you know that still alive in Melb and I'm having a blast and yes, I got to meet the Boo! I told him I felt hurt that he trashed NZ so much and you know what? At tonight's show, he stopped doing it with a mere simple joke. I'm glad he heard me and made a difference to 15,000 pairs of ears.
The motel I'm staying in is at the best location. Jim and his parents are looking after me so well, I'm spoilt. Tomorrow morning, I'll be on my own for a while. Then I'll meet up with Jane and she'll spend the night with me.
Take care, moi.
love - mm
So, did you get a mask??
Your stories make me feel like chucking my responsibilities for a couple weeks and just go explore these lovely places!! With or without winning a lotto!!
Hello Darling girl...you are following in my footsteps visiting the Boldrin Brothers in Venice and Prof. Agostino Dessi in Firenze...how WONDERFUL. Tomorrow is our midwinter carnival, we are lantern-bearers [lanterns shaped like birds of New Zealand]. We have also just arrived home from Australia [Jordan & Bronwen's wedding], we had an A-MA-ZING time...stay safe and well and happy travelling...
Post a Comment