Monday, 2 June 2008

Crisps not Chips

No Watties, Pams or Sanitarium here...

Visiting a foreign supermarket is a sightseeing destination in itself. I went to Morrisons to find some eggs today (unsuccessful!). Clare says its roughly the equivalent of Pak N Save whereas Waitrose would be your posher end, like Woolworths. The frozen/refrigerated section was a bit of a maze, with lots of separate shelving for ham, turkey, gammon and all the rest of the usual meats. There is also a huge selection of cheeses, many from the EU and fromage frais is in its own special section from the yoghurt.

There were lots of ethnic foods, especially Indian, as well as British food like canned steak and kidney, and canned cod roe. I thought it was cool that crabmeat was about the same price as tuna! Especially for Mum, I checked out the crisps (NZ potato chips) flavours. As well as the usual suspects, there was Steak and Onion, Prawn Cocktail, Smoky Bacon, BBQ Rib, and my favourite, the Farmer`s Choice pack ~ Ploughmans, Roast Gammon and Sweet Cumberland Sausage. Pretty cool!

For those who are curious about the price of British groceries, my receipt: bag of spinach leaves 99p, 6 pack Walkers Farmer`s Choice Crisps 1.15, Carte D`Or Greek Yoghurt Icecream 2.99, Pink Salmon 420g 80p, Crabmeat 300g 88p, Wholewheat pasta 79p, Sunsilk Shampoo and Conditioner 85p (not on special, maybe cheap because they make it here?), Apple Turnovers x3 82p, Ham 89p. Total GBP11.01.

3 comments:

moondancer33 said...

Did you say canned cod roe? Hm, if I was there, I might need to add that to my list of salmon heads and skin! lol. Canned steak and kidney ... pass! Bet it smells like pee, lol.

Thanks for checking out the chips (crisPs is too hard to say, just like wasPs). I'll have the prawn cocktail one, please ;). Crabmeat - is that a real crustacean type and not surimi? Your shopping is cheap if it was pound to dollar.

charinthecity said...

Yep, real crabmeat! But it's shredded, so it isn't as fantastic as it could be. Not bad tho. I don't like the 'sps' combination either.
Will check out the cod roe for you at some stage. maybe it's like your roe burger?

Tiffany said...

whoa dairy there is expensive. you would think shampoo type purchases would be the more expensive types but i guess not!
i hear brits love their canned foods. YUK!