
Yesterday one of my dreams came true! We went for a Sunday walk out to a wood near Christmas Common famous for bluebells.... They simply take your breath away, a glowing swathe of colour underneath the trees with new leaves. I've never seen anything like it.
As you walk through the trees and the sun appears from behind the clouds, the light dapples the woodland floor and a delicate scent drifts on the breeze.
I really didn't mind being lost in it all...
I have to say a big thank you to Dave's Mum Kathy, who told us that she thought that the bluebells were appearing and for taking us out on such a beautiful day. She also told me about some of the native wildflowers...
...I even spotted a native orchid! Learning to identify English wildflowers reminded me of my mother's illustrated book of countryside flowers which I used to look through as a child. Some of the plants here are familiar as they grow at home (homesick colonists at work again?), and some I find more unusual. We admired the kites mastering the thermals from a hilltop viewpoint.

6 comments:
EEEP! Spring is there already! How splendid!
Thanks for your well wishes! The show was great! So very very cool
:)
wow. i've never seen a field of bluebells before. this is truly fantastic! thanks for posting it.
Omigoodness, how absolutely divine. I'm super-envious, would love to stumble across something like this. Lucky you! xx
p.s. where is Christmas Commons and how do I get there THIS WEEKEND???
(And will the bluebells still be out? Look out, I'm on my way!)
Birdy! I reckon the bluebells will still be out. There were still some buds when I went, so best of luck!! I've been really enjoying your flower posts - yellow, pink and now blue? You need to head out to the Chilterns, the place is Cowleaze Wood, near Christmas Common. Here's a link to my Google Map http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&split=0&gl=uk&ei=7QT6SaCqMYaZjAegnoyyAw&hl=en&msa=0&ll=51.662387,-0.942593&spn=0.024118,0.074844&t=h&z=14&msid=118163135309785521186.000468cb43fa2c32be55c
But if that fails, look up Christmas Common on the Sat Nav off the M40 and keep an eye out for the woods. Another site to help you: http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/. Car needed!
wonderful!
Post a Comment