The weather report was brilliant, so I ventured out to the city today....Notting Hill was glowing.
There were some interesting things to look at around the Tube Station. The new Bingo Wings edition of the Virgin Active ads. And a cameo of Queen Victoria at Victoria Tube Station. I finally made it to Marylebone Lane to see VV Roleaux the haberdashery store and The Button Queen. VV's was lovely, the kind of shop that makes you want to be a fashion designer (or at least have a sewing machine, just so you had an excuse to buy lots of ribbon!). I found out about this neat place through Wee Birdy.The Button Queen was a bit disappointing though, nothing there to tempt me today, although there was a large assortment of military buttons. The Button Lady in Hampstead Heath looks like it will be more interesting.
I met up with Joel and Clare at Sloane Square to check out the new exhibition of Chinese contemporary artists at the Saatchi Gallery. The work there was a mixture, with pieces that looked like they had come from the set of a horror movie (life sized mutated models hanging off the rafters, giant naked people), disturbing pieces -resin life-sized self-portrait sculpture licking the floor, waxwork like figures sat on powered wheelchairs circling the gallery floor, a plucked life-sized fallen angel that looked like it had chicken wings, paintings and shock factor sculptures like the 'giant poo'.
Famous buildings made up of dog-chews.
The black and white pictures are made of burnt incense sticks. Joel and the giant poo - there are tiny model soldiers within the piece.
David, but not as you know him...
I must say the exhibition wasn't to my taste and quite a bit of it was disturbing and/or political, but it was interesting to go to something different and explore another part of the city.
It's looking splendid in Autumn, I'll be off to a picnic with friends tomorrow if the weather stays like this. Hope so. xxx
No comments:
Post a Comment