Tuesday, 2 July 2013

Sweet Sorrento


 We deliberated for a long time about where to go for our summer holiday, as we have not been overseas for a year since we started the project of doing up our house.  It seems a long time for us as we love to travel.  My brief was that I would like to eat lots of gelato, go for walks, have guaranteed sunshine and a bit of 'ciao' a la Eddie Izzard.  I think I got all of that and more than I expected.  All of our days were filled with bright sunshine based in Sorrento, a great place to go on action packed day trips.  My guess is that we walked about 10km every day.


We stayed in Sant Agnello, a little town very close to Sorrento, at Hotel Angelina.  We couldn't fault the hotel, although simple it was exactly what we needed - a lovely quiet location overlooking a lemon and orange grove, delicious fresh breakfasts and friendly hosts who went out of their way to make us feel welcome.  In Sant Agnello, there are cliffside paths leading down to the sea and the beaches.


 Mount Vesuvius is often in the background.


 Looks like a long way down!



The Sorrentine coast has a lot of cliffs, and is rocky rather than sandy.


We walked to the Marina Piccola on our first day, to see the boats.





I fell in love with the beautiful painted tiles which were used everywhere.


 Here's one of the main tourist shop stretches - the main attractions are limoncello (lemon flavoured alcohol, delicious when served as cold as possible!), lemon products, and ceramic tiles.  We predictably ended up with one very similar to this:


'Watch out for the rabbit!'
For the mansion of our favourite bad habit rabbit.



We made the climb up to the hill to watch the sun go down.
Very satisfying.


1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Gorgeous photos Char!
I like your plague for your bad habit rabbit. hahaha.
And looking at one of the pics, how do they put offerings to that statue of Mary in the alcove set into the side of the hill?!! That's so crazy!