Monday, 22 July 2013

Capri

Here's beautiful Capri, just a short ferry ride away from Sorrento.  Dave read from the guidebook that you pronounce it CA-pree, not ca-PREE.  The guidebook said, 'just remember cat-pee'.  Well, the island is really a lot more glamorous than that!  We were brave (or fool hardy) and walked up to the town from the port instead of taking the funicular.


We took a path uphill, and found some wonderful scenery and places we'd love to live in.





We fancied living here, if we lived in Capri.


 Or here.  We're easy going.


We wandered past the Carthusia perfumery.  I admired the scientific glassware and lusted after the apothecary jars.



More stunning views.


Pretty gardens.


And a steep path to the beach.




 The natural geological arch, an excellent place for a secluded picnic.



The locals have some amazing gardens.  They're very successful at growing a lot of plants I like.  I was very envious of the lushness of the lavender, hydrangea, basil and rosemary.  But then again, I also love roses and sweetpeas, that prefer the English climate.





Dave walked to Villa Jovis, while I sat in the shade away from the mid day sun.  It's the retirement home of Emperor Tiberious, and he is supposed to have done a lot of raucous things here, including tossing people off a convenient cliff when they displeased him.



Dave snapped this pic for the newsagent meow, but now I look at it I rather wish I'd bought the cute pink bag the kitty is looking at.


The town of Anacapri, just over the steep terrain by bus, pretty and low-key.






 Following the path past the famous garden of San Michele, we found our stunning path downwards towards the port.


 You would think this path would give you vertigo, luckily the walls are very thick and reassuring.


Goodbye, Capri.


Back to Sorrento, in time for dinner.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa! I am so envious.
Yes, do consider buying a place there and we shall visit :))

Tiffany said...

cat pee is super impressive. Gorgeous!
yea i think one of those houses by the coast isn't too shabby. you just gotta do what you gotta do sometimes!
:)