On Saturday I got to live out my Tamora Pierce medieval heroine fantasies and learn the ancient art of falconry for the morning at the Bird of Prey Centre in Bedfordshire. I didn't have Harry Potter in those days, but the Centre is really popular with his fans, who love being able to handle live owls who look like Hedwig. Dave and I had a great day learning about falcons, eagles and owls, including some handling time (holding the bird on your gloved hand) and flying time (having a bird fly to you) as well as watching a flying display.
We met lots of characters including Jamie the falcon and Marshall the owl, who won me over with his serious and slightly sleepy eyes.
I love the plumage on Dawn, the barn owl. Can't wait to pull out the watercolours and see if I can illustrate the amazing colour and texture of his feathers.
Marge the Stork.
Tiny the baby Mexican Condor, will look imposing one day but meanwhile this giant ball of fluff just loves eating shoelaces.
We met lots of characters including Jamie the falcon and Marshall the owl, who won me over with his serious and slightly sleepy eyes.
Marge the Stork.
4 comments:
oh wow!
oh wow!
fabulous!
I've always been fascinated by falconry....
and owlery too!
(lots of exclamation marks on this comment)
Did the falcons give out a squeal before landing on your hand, like they always do in the movies?
Fascinating!
No squealing... you have to bribe them with bits of food to come to your hand, so usually they are too busy thinking about food! My theory.
at first, i was like, what the heck is that?!!
some one dressed up?
no, it's a freaking cute baby condor!!
Post a Comment