Saturday, 11 September 2010

Glasgow

I always wanted to visit Glasgow to see Charles Rennie Mackintosh's work ever since studying his architecture and design in university. We managed to see a few highlights during our brief visit to Glasgow. The city is a bit of an underdog compared to Edinburgh - it has more contrasts and feels industrial in places.




Clockwise from upper left: Mackintosh House, Hunterian Art Gallery; the Lighthouse, details from Scotland Street School Museum.



The central square - hosting a pipe band competition!



Crossing the bridge across to the central city.



Overlooking the gardens in Glasgow University.



Amazing halls...we wandered through the university grounds to visit the Hunterian Museum.



Scotland Street School Museum. I loved seeing how children were educated a hundred years ago. It's a must-see destination for Charles Rennie Mackintosh fans, too. They run school visits where the children dress up in vintage fashion and attend a Victorian school lesson in the old classrooms.







We finished off our morning visit with breakfast - I decided to go thoroughly Scottish with my haggis baked potato. Yummy.

No comments: