Tuesday, 16 February 2010

Queenstown Glory

It was a brilliant summer day as we drove up to Queenstown...


Even hot enough for shorts!



We had to put on plenty of sunscreen to sight-see around Queenstown. I haven't been here for years, it brought back memories of family holidays. We once stayed at a lovely apartment complex called Spinnaker Bay (us three girls were still quite young and loved the indoor pool). I was not surprised to see in the tourist brochure that Aragorn (Viggo Mortensen) himself and some of the other Lord of the Rings crew had stayed there while filming in the region!



It was fun to watch the bungy jumping from Kawerau Bridge. The Bungy Jumping Centre has been re-vamped from the Lockwood building it used to be, it's now very flash and you can go and see the action up close for free.



The crew were busy initiating a new member of staff and had to use a bit of persuasion! There's a video that you can watch before you jump, it's meant to reassure you and encourage you to do it. I was interested to learn that paraplegics can bungy jump safely, too.



We wandered on to quieter Arrowtown to rest for the night. It's an old goldmining town with some charming historical buildings.



We explored the main street in the balmy evening sun, and walked through the old Chinese settlement. I liked the evocative narration and the sensitive way the trial was restored.



No comments: