Tuesday, 27 May 2008

Papercuts




Good news - I'm definitely off to London on the 29th of May (two days time!). Very excited. Soon I hope to have some pictures from Europe to show you.

I saw some beautiful papercuts on a few blogs - thank you Elsita - and decided to give it a go... It's quite addictive and different. I used some watercolour Bockingford paper folded in half, freestyle-cut with a craft knife, then opened the paper up to do the assymmetrical bits on the bottom two pieces. The benefits of this medium is that you don't need much equipment and there's not too much to commit to, just an A4 piece of paper. It's also very forgiving as long as you remember you can always cut off more, but it doesn't look pretty if you try to glue stuff back on! I also tried using plain copy paper, which is easier to cut but also easier to rip as my blade is a bit blunt.

The Cinderella piece is for Mum. She likes shoes, pumpkin soup and her Chinese zodiac animal is the mouse so I think this is her fairy tale. Which fairy tale would you choose?

One day I'd like to have a go at creating a Javanese shadow puppet. I really enjoyed the use of the puppets in Aurelia's Oratorio. It was such a beautiful show.

I am a lucky girl at the moment having a bit of time to play around with arty things and being with my family. I love being able to spend time with them, doing things like going on outings and also the little things like just being by the fire and watching tv/knitting/snoozing/sneaking treat food (there are a few open packets of biscuits in the house at the moment: gingernuts, hundreds and thousands and almond), fruit and vege shopping or riding in the car together and chatting.

No comments: