Thursday, 27 March 2008

Button Girl


Yi Lin was home for the Easter holidays, so we decided to celebrate her birthday a little early before she headed back down to Dunedin. For everyone who doesn't know, she is a bit infamous for liking buttons! So this year, her presents were a little bit button-themed. Button earrings, button purse, button bracelet, button bag, button tin with button biscuits. Plus a few non-button things to keep it healthy.

Here is the birthday girl at Sophie's, 'the best little steakhouse in town'. Sophie served us dinner herself. I love that her cafe is covered with lots of photos of Sophie and local celebrities... The meals have funky names too, like the John Wayne, Rhinestone Sophie, The Hudson, and The Fat Bastard. I am not kidding about the last one - it's a burger!



I made a button-themed bag to house Yi's present. I had to trek to her favourite button hunting shop, a great little vintage place that has been there since my high school days. Warren and Vanessa from Tete-a-Tete know the Button Girls well and let them sit on the floor and sort through the button jars. Amazingly, it can get addictive finding cool buttons. Mum and I found some beauties in Wellington.

Thank you Ward 1A! Today was my second-to-last day and I was given these gorgeous flowers. They survived 2 bus trips and a 5min walk on a 27 degree day. Yes sirree, hot but nice.
I did my visa biometrics yesterday and got into a bit of a flap. I had to change my Melbourne date forwards and move my London date back (into early May) to allow for my visa to be processed. But all's well now, and I'm booked into the Nunnery backpackers for Thursday. I'll say hi to Brother Francis (the cat) for you, Denise! I am excited about travelling soon.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

wow char that is an awesome bag you made! you can totally sell those. hahaha yi is the button gal, that is so cute. aaron told me he ran into her down in dunners, says she is enjoying uni well!
ah those are the days eh.
ooo will have to try sophies when i come back to chch. i also want to try strawberry fare's sister seafood restaurant.
that looked pricey.
hope all the paper work finishes up soon but meanwhile you have time off to indulge in more artsy fartsy stuff?!

Anonymous said...

Wow... I look ridiculously tanned there.

Thanks for the spiffy bag! :D