Saturday, 6 April 2013

Vote for your Cathedral

The Anglican Diocese of Christchurch are seeking feedback about their plans for a new Christchurch Cathedral, and are giving us the opportunity to vote for our favourite design option.  The first is to rebuild the original cathedral, the second to build a traditional gothic design in timber, and the third is a contemporary re-interpretation of the original cathedral.

I voted for the third - I think it's important not to copy the past, but look to it for inspiration, also I think it offers a fantastic opportunity to learn from the success of Napier and build some stunning architecture.  Just look at the beautiful and contemporary Christchurch Art Gallery, with its undulating double-skin of glass.

 I haven't been home since before the earthquake, and in a way I think my next homecoming will be hard as Christchurch will be different from the place I grew up.  But it will also be exciting to see signs of regeneration and the plans for the new city.

You can vote here.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would go with the 3rd option.
Change is good. When you "come back", you have to come back stronger, newer and different. I feel the untraditional look to the Cathedral will bring good things to the people of Ch'Ch.

Tiffany said...

yes! i would go with the third option as well. it's a great move to reclaim the cathedral in a new way.
are you thinking of going back soon?

charinthecity said...

Yes, trying to get home latest by January... the house is taking all our energy at the moment, we need to plan. (-: