
We watched Hayao Miyazaki's Ponyo last night without knowing that it was a version of the classic story of the Little Mermaid... It's a beautiful but strange story of a goldfish who escapes from the protection of her sea-wizard father and has an adventure to the 'surface', falling in love with a five year old boy. The themes of nature and the human landscape, and the presence of tsunami waves were quite unnerving.
I felt so lucky that my family in Christchurch were safe and that our family home was mostly unaffected. We have been fortunate. I'm also proud that my little sister graduated last week, another allied health therapist in the family.
It has been surreal. About two weeks ago, my best friend sent me a message asking me if my family was OK; on Friday I messaged her the same question with bated breath. My love and thoughts go out to those in Japan... words cannot be enough but I hope that those affected will be safe and well.
No comments:
Post a Comment