Friday, 9 October 2009

Bikes, Lights and Canals

Here are some images of Amsterdam, on my first visit to the Netherlands. We three girls had a fun, rainy long weekend exploring the canals and trying Dutch (I like pea soup, and poffertjes too!) and Indonesian/Surinamese food. We did wander through the Red Light District early on Sunday evening but spent most of the time watching a pair of kittens playing in the lit window of a shoemaker's studio! Girls.

I also visited the Rijksmuseum to see the Vermeer and Rembrandt masterpieces, and we all went to see Anne Frank's home and Secret Annexe. I think it was a highlight for all of us, it was moving; a very sensitively arranged museum.

Although alternative compared to other cultures, I think the Dutch attitude to tolerance (eg to prostitution and soft drugs) may have something to it, although I don't know it would work if applied internationally. Apparently, only a small fraction of Dutch people use soft drugs as it's something they try out as teenagers and leave to the tourists. And only 5% of customers of the Red Light District are Dutch. Still, it was quite a wonder to find seeds of another sort alongside the famous tulips of Amsterdam at the Flower Market!





















4 comments:

bluerose said...

The canal scene looks familiar. Did you see the big anchor (sculpture)?

charinthecity said...

No, there weren't many big sculptures apart from the elephants. You've been to Amsterdam before? Have I? (-:

bluerose said...

Yes I have and of course you were there too, one year old.

linnykins said...

A grow your own cannabis kit!! Oooo.